OurTime Review: Sign Up & Get Access to Free Dating Trials
OurTime is a dating site for like-minded singles over 50. Whilst a bit of a newcomer when it comes to online dating, it’s making its mark in helping those in their golden years find long lasting relationships. The site is aimed at those over 50 and is owned by match.com, so works in a very similar way.
According to Amber Brooks at DatingAdvice.com, “OurTime is well-known in the over-50 dating crowd, particularly because it has a ton of helpful search features and an easy layout.”
Check out our review below to get the lowdown on what OurTime’s really like, and whether it could be the right dating site for you.
Pros & Cons
- Activities is a great feature which allows you to meet singles up and down the country in a safe and controlled environment. There are a range of great activities on offer, from cruises to food tours, so it’s great if you’re looking for something fun to do while socialising.
- The site is very simple and easy to use.
- The free site gives a good overview of what you could be getting with a paid membership, letting you essentially try before you buy.
- The app isn’t currently available in the UK so you’re limited to the desktop version.
- The site isn’t the sleekest on the market – SilverSingles for example feels more premium.
- There are a lot of expensive additional features that can potentially suck you in.
OurTime caters for people over 50 who are looking for long-term love.
- Members: 120,000 users in the UK
- Members activity: 180,000 people from all around the world are active on the site at least once a month
- Gender proportion: 45 % Male and 55 % Female
What is the age range on OurTime?
The average age of users is between 55 and 70. Exclusively for singles age 50 and above, a growing percentage of online dating users are in this age group and this site allows them to feel like they belong in their search for love.
How does OurTime work?
The premise of OurTime is very simple – you simply scroll through singles you like the look of in your area, who you can then message or send a wink to (with a paid membership).
You can also use the Blender feature to find matches that fit your criteria if you don’t want to scroll through too many profiles.
Your criteria is determined by the answers you submit through the Affinity questionnaire, so it’s worth taking some time on this section to get the best matches.
Sign up process – joining OurTime UK
It’s really quick and easy to sign up. You simply create a profile then the site will ask you a series of basic questions, like your hair colour and body type, to get a bit of an understanding about you.
The site itself is really easy to use, with a great user experience that means you don’t have to scroll through answers yourself – you just click the answer that’s most relevant to you from the list that pops up.
Once you’ve signed up and created your basic profile, you can take the Affinity Questionnaire (which pops open on another tab), which gathers your likes and dislikes to create better matches for you.
Ease of use
The site is really easy to navigate and quick to figure out. Signing up for an account only takes a few minutes, too – and you can take the questionnaire in your own time.
There are loads of advice pages available if you do get stuck, but scrolling through profiles is very intuitive so it shouldn’t take long to figure out if you’re new to online dating sites.
Making contact, messages & notifications
You can only send messages to other users with a paid subscription. However once a member, you can message any profile and send winks to break the ice.
How can I show another member I’m interested in them? You can express interest in another member through a number of ways. One way is by viewing their profile, followed by a wink or a favourite which shows them you like what you saw.
Winking is a flirty way to say you are interested. It’s a great first step to encourage them to message you and you can make others feel special by favouring them. The best way to show interest is to send them a personalised email and show them you’ve taken the time to read what’s in their profile.
Most profiles on the site have decent quality pictures so you can see exactly who’s using the site. And most profiles include information about their likes and dislikes, so they’re great for giving a bit of a feel about the people you’re looking at and talking to.
Naturally there are profiles on the site that aren’t genuine, especially as the over 50s group is seen as more vulnerable online, so always take steps to keep yourself safe.
App download for Android & iPhone
The app isn’t currently available in the UK, but should be ready to download fairly soon. In the meantime, US users can enjoy dating on the app, which allows you to view and communicate with profiles on the go.
What are the OurTime app features?
• Tap the ‘heart’ to like someone, or really get their attention by saying something with the ‘Message’ button.
• Find more matches with simplified ways to discover and search.
• View extended full profiles with the ‘More’ button.
Real life reviews
Key features of OurTme.co.uk
1. Blender. This feature allows you to scroll through profiles that fit your search criteria. You can click ‘no’ or ‘yes’ to each one, then move on to the next profile. You can also add the profiles you like to your favourites list.
2. Winks. If you’re feeling shy or don’t quite know what to say, you can send a wink to break the ice. This will let someone know you’re interested to try and start a conversation.
1. Incognito mode. With this, you can view profiles for 24 hours without being seen. You won’t appear in search results, and you can turn it on and off as much as you’d like. It costs £1.99 for 24 hours or £9.99 (33p a day) for 1 month.
2. Boost. You can earn yourself more attention with this feature. Buying boosts will put you to the top of search results so you can be seen more easily. It costs £1.99 for 1 boost, £7.95 for 5 and £11.89 for 10.
3. Connect. This allows you to see who’s read your messages. You can also select a certain criteria which allows only singles who meet it to contact you.
4. Select. You can contact members with a free profile.
Safety & security
Their website makes three clear promises with regards to your safety;
1. They keep your personal details secure and safe by offering maximum security across their site.
2. They verify each profile to make sure each one is genuine and unique.
3. Their customer service team is on hand to offer advice or to help you out if you’re having problems with your profile.
How much does it cost to join OurTime?
How much is OurTime a month?
All memberships are paid in one lump sum. They automatically renew once they hit their end date, so make sure you double check your settings have auto-renew turned off if you don’t want this to happen.
Subscription offers the following additional features:
-Full access to all features on the mobile site.
-You can see who’s interested in you.
-You can experience the site ad-free.
-Special discounts on activities.
Discount codes 2020, offers & promo codes
OurTime is quite good at offering discounts and promotions when you sign up for a membership. At the time of writing, they were offering a 50% discount on their 6-months subscription. They also had 38% off their 3-month membership.
Is OurTime a free dating site? Are there free trials?
You can sign up to a basic profile for free, where you can look at other profiles and get a feel for the website, but you’ll need to upgrade to a membership in order to communicate with other singles.
Is OurTime.co.uk a good dating website?
OurTime gets a 3.6 out of 5. If you’re happy to scroll through profiles and spend a bit of time looking for people that catch your eye, then it’s a fun dating site to use.
The user experience is also good, with lots of added features and a site that essentially holds your hand each step of the way. Activities is an added bonus too, allowing you to go out and socialise with like-minded people in a safe environment.
However, we feel there are better, sleeker websites out there for over 50s who are looking for genuine love. The added features are also expensive and their ads are plastered all over the site, so it’s really hard not to get sucked into paying more than you need to.
Overall, it’s a good dating site, but give the free trial a go before you commit.
- Ease of Use
Join Ourtime UK today
How do I activate my OurTime account?
You can activate your account by heading to your email inbox and opening the message that has been sent during registration. All you need to do is click the “Activate your account” link to confirm your email address and this will verify your account.
How can I get the activation email for my account?
To receive the activation message, select the “Activate your account so other singles can see your profile” link found on the horizontal menu at the top of any page on the OurTime Website.
This can also be done by going to the “My account settings” section and selecting “Send me the email again” link in the “Your account has not be activated!” box.
What can I do if I’m unable to activate my account?
If you’re having difficulty activating your account, you can start by checking that your email is correct in the “My account settings” section. If it’s incorrect, then you can select the “Change” link. Once your address has been updated, tap “Send me the email again”. If still do not receive the email then check your spam folder.
How to setup my OurTime account as a bisexual?
If you are looking to search for both men and women, contact the Customer Care team to help you set this up. They will be able to set up your account so that you can search for singles.
Can I change my search type (man/woman)?
Once you have registered you are unable to change your search type. You will need to create a new account with the category you want. This can be done by deleting the account you have.
What should I do if I get a message saying my email address is already in use?
If your email address is associated to a profile on the OurTime database, you are unable to use it on another account. Before you can free up this email address and use it with a new profile, you will need to close your existing account.
How can I stop receiving messages from the website?
If you don’t want to receive email alerts to your personal email, you can deactivate this in the ‘My account settings’ section. Select the alerts you don’t want to receive and click the ‘Save’ link to confirm your changes.
Why can’t I create an account?
You may not be able to create a new account if your email address is already in use. If you want to create a new account and link your email address to it, then you will need to close your old account.
If you are uncertain whether you had a previous account, try to recover login information using the ‘Forgot your login details’ link which you can find on the homepage. You will then receive a password reset link to access your account again.
Finally, double check you haven’t received any messages from OurTime saying your profile was closed.
How can I stop appearing on the website?
If you don’t want to appear on the website, simply go to ‘My account settings’ section. Here you have two options:
1. You can hide your profile temporarily by suspending it. This can be done by selecting ‘To suspend your profile, click here’ found at the bottom of the page.
2. You can delete your account permanently. Go to ‘To suspend your profile, click here’ and then on the following page select ‘To delete your account and all your information permanently, click here’ found at the bottom of your screen.
How can I improve my chances of receiving replies to messages?
The best way to increase your chances of getting replies is by having a full and up-to-date profile. Take time to write a full description. You can also add a selection of photos to show what you’re about and searching for. You are also able to maximise your chances of meeting someone else with the ‘Connect’ upgrade to your subscription. This feature allows non-members to read and reply to your messages.
How do I send a Wink to a member?
There are two ways to send a wink to another member:
– In your search results, select the wink symbol on the relevant mini profile
– When viewing someone’s profile, tap ‘WINK’ found below their profile photo
How can I add another member to my Favourites?
There are two ways to add a profile to your favourites:
– In your search results, select ‘Add to my favourites’ link on the mini profile
– When you view a profile, tap the ‘Favourite’ button below the profile photo
How are views counted?
A view is registered as soon as a member clicks on your profile. You are able to see the profiles of everyone who has viewed you in the last 30 days by going to the ‘Views’ section at the top of the page. Also, a counter on the tab gives you a real-time update on the number of new views since you have last checked.
How to change the gender on my profile?
Once you have registered on the website, you are unable to change the gender of your profile. You will have to create a new account with the correct sex and this is done by deleting your current account and creating a new account.
How can I suspend my profile?
If you would like to suspend your profile, go to ‘My account settings’ and select ‘To suspend your account’ found at the bottom of the ‘Help’ section. Then select ‘Suspend my account’ to confirm your request.
To find ‘My account settings’ go to the avatar/profile photo found on the top-right of the page. With a current subscription, you are able to cancel automatic renewal before suspending your profile.
What happens when my profile has been suspended?
– You will get a confirmation email
– Your profile will disappear within 24 hours and you won’t receive any email alerts
– Your profile information will be available but other members will be unable to see it
You are able to reactivate your profile whenever you want. All you need to do is connect to the website and confirm reactivation or click the link in the confirmation email.
How can I upload a photo?
To add a photo to your profile, simply go to ‘Edit my profile’ page by tapping on your profile avatar at the top right of the page. Then select ‘Add a photo”‘ and select one of the options available for adding your photo. Your uploaded photo will appear within 25 hours and you should also receive a confirmation email.
How can I delete my profile?”
Delete your account by navigating to the ‘My account settings’ section. This can be found by going to your username at the top right of the page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘To suspend or delete your account, click here’.
At the bottom of the following page, you will find a second option to delete your account entirely: ‘To delete your account and permanently remove your profile from the site, click here’.
Follow instructions until you get confirmation on your screen and email. Your profile will disappear within 24 hours and you will also lose access to your account.
What does the Select upgrade offer?
With the Select upgrade you can enjoy the following benefits:
– Ability to see if and when your messages have been read
– The Contact Filter feature, where you can opt to only be contacted by those who meet your criteria. This feature is only available on the mobile version of the website and on apps.
What is the connect upgrade?
The Connect upgrade offers you access to more contact.
With this upgrade you can:
– Exchange messages with members that don’t have subscription yet
– Be the first introduced to new members
What is Boost?
This is a way for you to quickly increase the visibility of your profile and get more attention from other members.
Once activated, your profile will be highlighted in the ‘Popular singles’ list shown at the top of search results. A Boost can last a few hours depending on the amount of contacts you receive and you are also able to track the amount of notifications received during this time on the homepage. Since your profile is actively being promoted with a Boost, expect to receive more winks, messages and views at this time.
How can I activate Boost?
When you purchase a Boost or a Boost package, your first Boost will be immediately activated. If you purchased a pack, then you can activate a new one by going to the ‘Boost’ section and selecting the ‘activate a Boost’ link.
What is Incognito mode?
Incognito mode allows you to disappear and browse the site in secret. You can make your profile invisible for 24 hours or even longer. You can view profiles without members knowing and they will receive no notification that you viewed their profile. You will also not appear in their list of views.
Incognito costs £1.99 for one day and £9.99 for a month. To activate this mode, tap on the ghost icon at the top right of the page to see the options.
What are Activities?
Activities gives you the chance to meet other members in person with a night out, socials and more. OurTime holds Activities each month in cities across the UK. Find the calendar of nearby Activities by selecting ‘Events’ on the top menu or if you are on the mobile app going to ‘Event Invitations’ in the ‘Me’ section.
How can I contact the moderation team?
Contact the moderators by tapping on the three-dot icon at the top right and then ‘Notify our customer care team’ when:
– You are viewing a member’s profile
– You are reading a message
The moderating team will do everything they can to detect and also delete profiles that aren’t complying with the General Terms & Conditions of Use or Charter of Commitment.
Also, if a member’s behaviour goes against their code of conduct, the moderation team will take the appropriate measures which could include a warning to permanent removal.
How do I report a member for inappropriate behaviour?
Report a member to the moderation team by selecting ‘Report this profile’ which is found at the bottom of their profile page or the IM window. Also, any suspicious messages can be reported using the ‘Report this profile’ link under the emails you receive. If the member has broken the Terms & Conditions then the moderation team will take appropriate members.
How can I prevent a member from contacting me?
If you wish to prevent another member from contacting you, just click on ‘Block this profile’ found at the bottom of their profile or the red forbidden icon in the IM window.
How do I unsubscribe from OurTime?
If you want to delete your account and all data associated with it, you need to login to OurTime on your computer.
To delete your account:
1. Go to ‘My account settings’ section by navigating to your screen name found in the top right corner
2. Select ‘suspend your profile, click here’ link found at the bottom of the page
3. On the next page, make your request by selecting “To delete your account and all your information permanently, click here.”
If you have an active subscription, you will also need to cancel the automatic renewal. Once complete, you will lose access to your account and within 25 hours your profile will disappear. If you want to keep your account and access your information at any time, there is also the option to suspend your profile rather than deleting it.
What are the benefits of a subscription?
With a subscription, you will have access to features on the website as you connect with other singles.
With a subscription, you will be able to:
– Chat with other members on IM or private message
– View ‘The person I’m looking to meet’ box on the profiles you view
– Save favourite profiles
– View a list of winks you’ve sent
– Personalise searches
– Browse without ads
– Receive discounts on tickets to Activities
What subscriptions are available and how long do they last?
You can chose from three subscription packages: 1 month, 3 moths and 6 months. These packages give you access to most website features and will also let you read and send as many messages to other members as you like. Once you have chosen your subscription period, you also have the option to add one or
What name will appear on my bank statements?
If you pay with credit or debit card, then payments will be shown on your statement under the name ‘match.com’. It is impossible to change this name on your statement. Contact customer services to find out how your payments will appear with PayPal payments.
Can I pay any other way than from the website?
If you don’t want to pay for your subscription from the website, there is the option to pay by credit/debit card on the phone. All you need to do is phone the customer care team and they will help you.
Can I pay by cheque?
This payment option is not available and you are also unable to pay for a subscription by check. Other payment methods such as debit/credit cards or PayPal are available for your subscription or upgrade.
Can I pay in instalments?
All subscriptions are payable in full when purchased, with the exception of the 6 month subscription. This package can be paid in three instalments at no extra cost. The three instalments will be debited during the first three months of the subscription.
What payment methods are available?
Payments from the UK:
– credit/debit card: MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron or American Express
– Via PayPal by clicking the PayPal logo
Payments outside of the UK:
– international payment card such as Visa, MasterCard or American Express
– via PayPal
Benefits of online payments:
– The payment system is completely secure
– Once payment has been confirmed, your subscription will be activated immediately
Do women have to pay to use the OurTime website?
Yes they do! To get access to the features on this website, both men and women require a subscription.
How can I activate a special offer?
To activate a promotion, tap the link in the message that you’ve been sent. You will be redirected to the relevant offer and can make a purchase in a few clicks.
What is a 3-day offer?
The 3-day offer is a trial period from partners of OurTime. This will allow you to get a taste for services before agreeing to a subscription package. These trials are only available with a new registration and cannot be activated with an existing profile.